We are over 70% water and yet how often we question the quality of water that we consume and shower with daily? We mostly take for granted that (unless you live in an underdeveloped country) that our water is safe and good.
But not all water are the same.
Good water helps us stay in vibrant health, keeps us properly hydrated and reduce oxidation stress from our environment, diet and lifestyle. But not-so-good water can do the opposite, so if you care about your health, we stronlgly recommend you to drink the best water possible.
There are many types of water - tap water, bottled water (which we strongly against for so many reasons), filtered water, mineral water (unfortunately in bottle having travelled thousands of miles), distilled water, alkaline water, reverse osmosis and our preferred option - Kangen Water®.
Let's look at the common types of water that we drink:
- Tap water. If you can drink tap water where you live, as in many of the developed countries, it is advisable to do regular testing to check the quality of the water. Water in the city has to travelled through a lot of pipes and tanks and there can be many chemicals, containments and substances presented in the water. Tap water is a healthier option than soft drinks. But according to the Environmental Working Group, there have been 315 pollutants found in America's tap water since 2004, and over half of these pollutants are completely unregulated and can legally exist in any amount.
- Bottled water is not necessarily healthier than tap water and yet it costs much more and those in plastic cause great environmental harm. It actually takes more water to make one plastic bottled water. A four-year study by the Natural Resources Defense Council shows that 1/3 of the bottled water tested contains levels of contamination which exceed allowable limits. Chemicals called phthalates, which are known to disrupt testosterone and other hormones, can leach into bottled water over time. Bottled water can also be slightly acidic, which may affect your body's pH balance.
- Filtered water is better than tap. What type of filter to be used depends on your water source and what substances you want removed. While having clean water is nice, we recommend taking it further to make it ALIVE via Enagic K8 Water Ionizer.
- Reverse Osmosis is a filtering process which may be effective in areas that do not receive municipally treated water and is commonly used in bottled water facilities. The problem with this process is that dangerous chemicals like pesticides, herbicides, and chlorine are molecularly smaller than water and can pass freely through the filter. Reverse osmosis removes healthy, naturally occurring water minerals. These minerals not only provide good taste, they also serve a vital function in the body's system. When stripped of these minerals, water can be unhealthy. Also, 2-3 gallons of water are wasted for every gallon of purified water produced.
- Alkaline water has received a lot of attention these days as people become more conscious of how the acidity in our diet and lifestyle is negatively affecting our health. Alkaline water means water that has a higher than pH7 (neutral) value. We love the idea of counterbalancing the acidic stress, but the bottled alkaline water you can find in the store has chemical additives in it to make it alkaline and it can cause stress in the body to process and detox these extra chemicals. Our preferred option - Kangen Water is also known as Electrolysed Reduced Water (ERW), has ph values above 7 because of the process of electrolysis rather than chemical additives. (More on Alkaline VS Alkalized Water in coming post)
- Distilled Water: Companies produce distilled water by boiling water and then condensing the collected steam back into a liquid. This process removes impurities and minerals from the water, which has raised concern, as waterborne minerals supplement nutrition.
So what is Kangen Water®?
Kangen means "return to origin" in Japanese. Kangen Water® is delicious water created from Enagic's innovative water technology. Not only do these devices filter your tap water, but they also produce five types and seven pH levels of ionized water through electrolysis. These waters can be used for various purposes, including drinking, cooking, beauty, and cleaning.
If you're scientifically-minded, we recommend you to research on PubMed or Google Scholars on Electrolyzed Reduced Water, water with molecular hydrogen, or charged hydrogen-rich water (which are all technical terms for Kangen Water®), or have a look at this research: Advanced research on the health benefit of reduced water
Properties of Kangen Water®:
- Charged hydrogen-rich to reduce oxidation stress
- High negative ORP value which means highly antioxidant
- Alkaline through electrolysis rather than chemical additives
- Effective hydration and detoxification